Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Don't Fall Victim to Electrical Fire

It is reported that December and January are the most dangerous months for electrical fires. In the winter months, witch requires more indoor activities and the increase of the use of heating, lighting and other household appliances can be the main reason.

In older houses we see electrical fires that are caused because breakers that should be triggered when circuits get overloaded with electricity, fail to do so, In most cases outdated breaker boxes often have worn connectors that do not work, allowing the system to overload and start an electrical fire.



Outdated wiring can also be the cause of an electrical fire, typically if a home is over 20 years old and has not updated from the original wiring, it may lack the wiring capacity to handle the amount of electricity needed to run today's appliances in the average home today, 20 years ago we did not have homes that ran things like Flat screen t.v, computers, multiple air conditioners/electric heaters, microwaves etc.    

And people may not know this but something as minor as a light fixture, lamp or even a light bulb can spark a electrical fire, installing a bulb with wattage that is too high for the lamp or light fixture is the Leading cause of an electrical fire. It is important to pay close attention to those things, so when purchasing a bulb for a fixture be sure to stay within the recommended wattage. 

We know you can never be to sure if your not an Licensed Electrician so here are a few tips for your safety...

  •   Electrical work should be done only by a Licensed Electrician and you should call one if you have any of the following issues 
  1. Constantly tripping breakers
  2. Recurring issues with Fuses being blown
  3. Discolored or warm outlets
  4. A burning smell or rubbery odor coming from appliances 
  5. Flickering lights
  6. Sparks from wall outlet, fixtures, or switches
  • Extension Cords  are temporary, have a licensed electrician determine if additional outlets are needed
  • If 3 prongs are required to run an appliance , only use a 3-slot outlet, never force to fit into a 2-slot outlet 
  • Use only surge protectors or power strips that have internal overload protection 
  • Keep flammable items away from space heaters 

And people may not know this but something as minor as a light fixture, lamps or even a light bulb can spark a electrical fire, installing a bulb with wattage that is too high for the lamp or light fixture is the Leading cause of an electrical fire. It is important to pay close attention to those things, so when purchasing a bulb for a fixture be sure to stay within the recommended wattage. 



1 comment:

  1. I am considering installing a new replacement power cord in a lamp that I have, but I have no electrical experience and I am afraid I could burn my house down or something! Do you think I am being paranoid, or should I just bring it to a professional?

    ReplyDelete