Monday, April 11, 2011

Aluminum Wiring

I have a townhouse built in 1971 with aluminum wiring. No problems over the last 4 years except one outlet in my spare bedroom. Several years ago it caught on fire and the electrician replaced it with supposedly an outlet that was "rated" for aluminum wiring. It is sparking again and when I called them back they said they could send someone out for $100.
My thoughts are this.......I know I don't want to pay an electrician $100 to tell me I have aluminum wiring, I know the increased risk for this. I'm wondering if the last electrician should have done a better diagnostic first. Second, what good did it accomplish using this type of outlet, should it need to be piggybacked with copper if it is that weak?Can you give me some clarity on the steps to take to secure my safety, next to re-wiring the house.
Thank You in advance.

Hi Lisa,
I'm sorry to hear about you problem. Electrical fires are scary. I would hate to live in fear in my own home. It is hard to say if the electrician did anything wrong. Aluminum wiring is not used for lighting circuits today because it is not reliable. The problem is that Aluminum doesn't age well.

My advice would be to replace your wiring with copper . Anything short of that would not fix your problems. Yes, they do still make Aluminum rated devices but the wiring is 40 years old is at an ager where it will fail.

You may also want to call your insurance agency and see if they are still covering aluminum wiring. May insurance agencies do not cover this type of wire. It would be a huge loss if you were to have a fire and then find out you are not covered for that type of damage.
Bill Lutz

1 comment:

  1. Aluminum is a very nice material but not good for wiring. We should use copper for wiring because that is a nice and useful material wiring i also read about it on online college paper writing service website. We can see in pictures that aluminum is a very dangerous material for wiring.