Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Importance of Carbon Monoxide Detectors!

Earlier this week I took a call from a customer who had had us out earlier this year to install a smoke alarm system for their home. This is a pretty common thing that we do and when our tech's went out to do the install they also installed a carbon monoxide detector with the system since the client did not already have one. When the client went to use their gas fireplace for the first time this year the smoke alarm system began to sound even though there was no smoke present. We dispatched our techs out to take a look at the system to make sure that the system had been wired properly or to find out if it was just malfunctioning. After numerous tests it was determined that there was nothing wrong with the system and that it was the carbon monoxide detector that was setting the system off.

There is no way to determine the presence of carbon monoxide in your home without a carbon monoxide detector because it is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that is very toxic to humans. Carbon monoxide results from the combustion of organic matter with an insufficient oxygen supply and is often produced in domestic or industrial settings by motor vehicles and other gas-powered tools, heaters, and cooking equipment. Symptoms of mild acute poisoning include headaches, vertigo, and flu-like effects; larger exposures can lead to significant toxicity of the central nervous system and heart, and even death. Had this family not decided to have the carbon monoxide detector installed with the smoke alarm system the results could have been catastrophic.

For more information about carbon monoxide poisoning you can visit the the Environmental Protection Agency's website at:

To schedule an appointment to get a free estimate on having a smoke alarm/carbon monoxide system installed in your home to help protect your family give us a call in the office at 215-512-4102

Generation 3 Electric
CRS "Offensive Coordination"

1 comment: