Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Subject: Undercabinet lighting

Name: Sam

Question: I bought 120V Halogen puck lights from Home Depot and was planning on cutting the plug and direct wiring them to a 14-2 wire. I just wanted to know if this was a violation in the NEC since in Washington state that all they require. I was told there is a higher risk of a fire potential for this approach.

Answer: Hi Sam,

There is no problem with cutting the plugs off. You just have to make sure that you lay everything out in such away you have a junction box for your connection. What is a fire hazard is to connect the light to the 14-2 with out a junction box. The purpose of a junction box ix to prevent sparks for a bad junction from causing a fire.

Here is a link to some more answer to this problem. Please comment on anything you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment