Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Subject: converting plug-in undercabinet lighting to direct wire

Undercabinet LightImage by Daniel Ashton via Flickr
Name: joyce

Question: I would like to convert plug-in under-cabinet lighting and wire it directly to existing outlet box located right under my cabinet. Can I just cut off the plug and connect the hot and neutral wire from the cord to existing outlet box? If so, how do I do this? I just want to connect one 24" undercabinet GE fluorescent fixture. The fixture is a plug-in linkable fixture that says up to 10 of these fixtures can be linked together. I only want to use one fixture directly wired. I will not be linking any other fixtures to this one. Thanks.

Answer: Hi Joyce,

This is not as easy as it sounds. I think I can help you. You can't run that cord in the wall to the outlet. You need to fish 12-2 from the outlet, splice with a special box as it come out of the wall to the cut off cord of your light. Here is a link to the part you need.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I want to do the same thing and the connector looked like an ideal solution. However, I followed the link and read the description and it appears to be a low voltage connector: "Polycarbonate splicer with cover for connection between transformer extension wire (i.e. Romex) and low voltage cable, or use as a splicer between two sections of low voltage cable. (maximum wattage allowed for 10/2 AWG: 300w at 12v; 500w at 24v max)." Do you still think this is OK to use with a 110V fluorescent fixture? Thanks! Ray